Thursday, February 4, 2010

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome!

Since I had Natalie I have struggled health wise. For almost an entire year after she was born I had to be careful when changing positions or I would get dizzy and light headed and potentially black out. When I first went to the Dr. they took my blood pressure and it was really low. Then the testing began. We did MRI's, blood work, I saw a Cardiologist and had an EKG, a cardiogram, when I was in the shower I had to go from really hot water to really cold water several times to "strengthen the arterial muscles". After lots of testing they told me to increase my salt and my water. That seemed to help for a while but this last week has been really bad again. So back to the Dr. I went.

In all honesty I was completely terrified. It was a here we go again kind of moment. I recently changed Doctors and so I was sure it would be all the same tests and no answers. After talking to him for a few minutes and a form of legalized torture where the had me lie down and then quickly stand up while monitoring my heart rate he said her was pretty sure I had POTS syndrome. Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Finally after 3 years of testing and wondering a name and a treatment. I get to take salt pills and if that doesn't help they have another medication that I can take. We still have a few test to do, but it has a name and I am not just crazy.

2 comments:

  1. I hope that now that it has a name you can feel a little at peace! I hope the pills help too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they've finally decided what it is and I hope your still feeling better. That lady in the comic could look a little crazy but we never thought you were, you just had us all worried :). Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete