Sunday, August 10, 2014

Nathan Scott Cornelsen

Nathan Scott Cornelsen
July 1, 2014 
4:56 p.m.
7 lbs 7 oz
18.5 inches

My fifth pregnancy was better than my fourth but still difficult. I started having contractions around 20 weeks and was on partial bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy. This was similar to my other pregnancies and so I didn't worry to much but around 30 weeks I started having lots of pressure and the baby was so low that I couldn't walk very well.  I lost my mucous plug and so I started to panic a little.  Luckily I had help for the ward and my wonderful family and I was able to stay down. 

At 36 weeks I was given the go ahead to do what I wanted and needed to do.  So we went camping...twice. The first time there were no bathrooms. Not exactly comfortable for a 36 week preggo woman to squat but I did it and we had a great time.  The ward camp out was 2 weeks later and with Scott being the Bishop I felt like I should go and help with the kids.  We had a great time and even enjoyed a rendition of barfing up my baby bumble bee, wood chips and all. I got several comments about being brave. I claimed insanity.

On June 30 I met with Dr. Horsely and he striped my membranes. My mom and Aubrey had come down so we went walking... and jogging... and bounced on balls...and anything else we could think of to get the baby to come. I know 38 weeks is early but after 18 weeks of trying to keep him in I was ready for him to come out. Nothing happened. I went to bed discouraged and depressed. 

July first, much to my dismay came and I was not in the hospital holding my baby.  We went walking and took the kids to the park. Mom started talking about going home and Aubrey went to Lagoon with my siblings because they figured we had a while before he came.  

After lunch I was tired and cranky so I asked mom to watch the kids and I went to take a nap. I was able to get a little rest and then my back started to hurt so bad that I couldn't sleep. I went out to the swing with my mom to watch the kids play in the pool.  This was just before 3:00. Having had many babies my mom recognized back labor, which I had never had, and started timing. 10 minutes...9 minutes... call and make sure sitter is available just in case...6 minutes...4 minutes...call husband....3 minutes... call and tell sitter to come...3 minutes apart...Scott got home grabbed our stuff and we left as soon as the sitter walked in the door with mom right behind us. We got to the hospital and they hadn't received my preregistration papers and I had forgotten my wallet so I had no I.D. Luckily they let us in.

The nurse checked and I was at a 6 and fully effaced. I told her to call the Dr. because I go from a 6 to baby in 15 minutes. I don't think she really believed me but she told them to call and let him know I was there.  They started prepping and then I started yelling that I needed to push. Knowing they don't want you to push until they are certain you are at a 10 I tried not to push. The nurse yelled for them to call the Dr and tell him to come now. Luckily he had suited up when they called him the first time and made it just in time to tell me I was at a 10 and could push. I pushed once and his head was out. I had to stop pushing so they could get the cord from around his neck (not an easy thing to do).  A half a push later and he was here.  

They put him on my chest but he wasn't crying or breathing so I didn't want him there. I wanted they checking to make sure he was okay. He gave a weak cry and then nothing. I was pretty scared.  They had to use a CPAP on him but after a few very long minutes he let us know he was not happy about the situation and didn't have anymore trouble. They think he must have been in shock from such a fast labor and delivery.















He has a ton of long blonde hair that sticks straight up. Scott nicknamed him baby sting. 
We are so in love with this little man

No comments:

Post a Comment